Mission Statement

Come read my attempt to chronicle the 2.5 months of studying/traveling/learning/growing and all kinds of other verbs that end in "ing" I do while in London.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Camden Market

Last Sunday, the gang and I decided to go shopping.  We happened to pick one of the most famous markets in London...Camden Market.

Camden Market is interesting, to say the least.  It is famous for selling edgy punk rock/goth/alternative wares, but you can also find a lot of "normal" clothes, jewelry, and other merchandise for sale.  On my very first tour here in London, my tour guide told us that "Amy Winehouse is Camden Town", meaning she was a good way to represent the type of crowd that flocks to, and comes from, Camden Town.

The market itself it actually made up of half a dozen or so markets, which have specific titles, and sometimes cater to specific products.

Along with goods, the market is full of food stalls ranging from Mexican, to Thai, to Italian.  Crepes are abundant, as are smoothies and Sushi.  It all smelled amazing.

Scattered throughout the markets are bronze statues representing what market it is.  This Bronze Lion and I became friends


After we bonded, I was even allowed to ride him, which some of you will know, has always been a huge dream of mine.

We wandered across the street through the Stables Markets

They used to be working stables back when London required the use of horses for, well, everything.  Now the stalls have been converted to merchandise stalls, and the horses have gone, except for these bronze statues, which were everywhere.

Overwhelmed with the crowds, I opted for normal shots

But Ryan went above and beyond, and chose to get eaten.  I am so proud.

Matt also decided to be a dear, and photobomb me (though he is perfectly aligned with the ears!)

Take two.

After a couple of hours of shopping, we were hungry.  Matt and I got Mexican food (I got a delicious cheese quesadilla, which was stuffed with all kinds of veggies and cheese).  Erika and Ryan opted for crepes.  We took our food down to Regents Canal (which feeds into the Thames), and enjoyed lunch right on the edge.


We only did a bit  more shopping after that before we all decided we were exhausted, and headed for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment