Mission Statement

Come read my attempt to chronicle the 2.5 months of studying/traveling/learning/growing and all kinds of other verbs that end in "ing" I do while in London.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Stonehenge/Salisbury

About two hours outside of London you can find this glorious pile of rocks we like to call Stonehenge.

To get there, Ryan, Erika and I were picked up by coach (along with a bunch of other AIFS students) and a tour guide. We quickly made our way out of London and were treated to the always pretty views of the rolling English countryside.

Once we got to Stonehenge, we learned that all of the surrounding "land lumps" were actually mass burial sites of ancient people. It was eerie, especially when you look around and realize how many mounds surround the area.

The area (though not Stonehenge itself) was also covered in cows and sheep. I wanted, so badly, to go frolic with them, but alas, we didn't have enough time.

Once off the bus, we headed to the main attraction. Sadly they no longer allow anyone to go up to the giant stones anymore, due to soil damage (it could eventually cause the stones to tip, sag, and even fall), so we were sent in a big circle around the 'henge.

We took a few moments to absorb it. It really is a wonder to see.

After we took it in for a few minutes, it was time to get down to business and take some fun pictures.

Someone pointed out this little rock that sits on one of the bigger rocks, and I decided that it was some guy's claim to helping. "Hey Bob, why are you just sitting around while the rest of us lug these heavy stones into formation?!" "What'dya mean?! I put that rock on the top right there!" Silly, I know, but we got some good laughs out of that.

After Stonehenge (and the obligatory gift shop stop), we headed into Salisbury, a nearby town.

Erika and I bought matching sheep keychains, they were too cute to pass up.
**True Story** After we left Stonehenge, I realized my watch stopped...at exactly the time that we arrived at Stonehenge. We were all hoping it would start again once we left the area, but sadly it seems to be a case of dead battery.

One we reached Salisbury, Erika quickly fell in love with how picturesque it was.

The cathedral here is famous, massive, and beautiful. Before we got to explore it though, we needed food, and needed it fast.

Unfortunately, it took some wandering, grouchiness, and mild snapping at one another (we were very. hungry.) until we found food. We ate at this pub called The King's Head Inn.
We split a pitcher of Pimm's and Lemonade, which is a signature English drink that happens to be very tasty.
We discovered a nice little stream outside of the pub, and I proceeded to pout until I was allowed to take a picture with it.
There was also this nice little bridge, which inspired me to tell my friends of this little diddy by Simon and Garfunkel that I proceeded to sing "Like a bridge over troubled water".
I think I had too much Pimm's and Lemonade.
One more bridge and then it was on to the cathedral.
The cathedral was surrounded by weird modern statues, big and small. Of course I needed to takes pictures with them.
I enjoyed holding hands with the Virgin Mary (who this was supposed to be). After the picture, I was unable to let go as she had a very firm grasp of my fingers. I had a moment of panic, true story, Ryan was much amused.
This giantess was in such a hurry to get to church that she trampled me. So rude.
Erika and I posed for a picture in front of the chapel...
The inside was spectacular, as these photos show.
After the cathedral, it was time to head back to London....
which of course meant an hour of traffic on the M25

No comments:

Post a Comment