Mission Statement

Come read my attempt to chronicle the 2.5 months of studying/traveling/learning/growing and all kinds of other verbs that end in "ing" I do while in London.

Monday, September 12, 2011

First Day of School!

I woke up around 8 am this morning to what I discovered to be my roommate's heels clicking around the flat (the noise was incorporated into my dream before it woke me).

It was the first time I got almost a full night's sleep. I woke up once in the middle of the night, but managed to fall back asleep relatively quickly. Previously I would wake around 3 am and just be wide awake. I think I am getting over the jet lag.

Since class didn't start until noon, I had plenty of time to lounge around and be lazy. I headed for the tube station around 11 and made it to campus (after a brief "I'm lost" detour) around 11:45. I saw a friend, Ryan, sitting outside the cafe near our classroom, and joined him. We chatted until noon, then headed to class.

My first class is Shakespeare, but since it was the first day, our professor decided we should go to the British Library instead. It is only a few blocks from campus.

I saw the Magna Carta, hand written manuscripts by Jane Austen (!), Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and lots of other famous authors. I also saw an original King James bible.

The special exhibit is a science fiction exhibit. The naturally had a Doctor Who niche and I totally weirded out my friends when I had a geek melt down. They did ask a few questions though so I think they at least appreciated having a bit more understanding of it then they did before (since Doctor Who is everywhere around here).

I really wanted to take pictures, but sadly the British Library doesn't allow that.

My next class was Art History. We just had lecture, nothing too exciting.

After class we didn't want to get stuck in tube traffic, so we opted to have dinner at a local pub called "The Court" The food was reasonably priced and tasty. I had a "tuna mayo" sandwich, which is what they call tuna salad sandwiches. The four of us got a bundle of pints (Stella..mmm).

Again, I wish I had taken pics, but I didn't take my camera.

Now it is time to do some reading for school, then get to bed and start all over again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment