Mission Statement

Come read my attempt to chronicle the 2.5 months of studying/traveling/learning/growing and all kinds of other verbs that end in "ing" I do while in London.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Weird Food, The British Museum, and Harrods

School has kept me from having anything too interesting to write about, but that should change, since Thursdays are my Fridays, and I have a whole 3 day weekend of sight seeing ahead of me.
My art history professor decided to take us to the British Museum yesterday. Erika and I were in awe of everything we saw, but sadly we didn't have a whole lot of time to check everything out as we got there around 3:30 and the museum closes at 5:30.
We did manage to see some mummies
some coptic jars, which are a lot bigger than they are in The Mummy, just sayin'
and some of the controversial Elgin Marbles (this Elgin guy took a bunch of marble from the Parthenon, and Greece wasn't, and isn't, thrilled).
Oh, and you know, the Rosetta Stone, nothing special.
My favorite thing (so far) is this huge clock (with a tiny face).
Back in the 1500s it would propel itself along the banquet table and when it reached the hour, a gun would fire at the end, which would set off a series of fuses that would fire all of the cannons along the ship. I wish I could see it in action.

My favorite class currently is my film class. My professor is awesome and she decided that we would only try to watch British films. This makes me super happy, but most of the class actually groaned with arguments like "but they are boring!" and "but we can't understand what they are saying!" It took every ounce of strength to not jump up and scream, "what is WRONG with you people? We are in London!"

After she lectured us on film for 30 minutes, she said "OK, let's watch Snatch, peeps". Ya, love that class.

Have I mentioned how much I love the grocery store here? I went back last night and picked up a bunch of things, including some Mac and Cheese.

Yup, they sell it in a can. I was going to try it last night but chickened out and ate the pizza I got instead.
I do have a new favorite biscuit. They are pretty cheap, about 60p or so.
After class today, Erika, Ryan, and I (poor Matt is sick), paid a visit to Harrod's. A lot of it is Egyptian themed, which we totally failed to capture in this picture
but I found this guy on the bottom floor
and we also stumbled upon the "Diana Dodi Memorial"
We had way too much fun in the toy section. The gift shop that sells Harrod's only merchandise is also huge and full of so many things that are begging me to spend my money on.
Instead of going out and "getting crazy" like most of the other kids here (the apartments are super quiet tonight...) I'm staying in with my pjs and my laptop (and my BBC). Tomorrow is our day trip to Brighton and I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment